It’s officially the one year anniversary of my blog!
I’ve been posting about food, art, writing, and whatever else pops into my head for an entire year now. What better way to celebrate than with cupcakes?!
I brought these to my staff who promptly devoured them with gusto. I used a recipe from a cookbook I got as a Christmas present: Favorite Brand Name’s 100 Best Cupcake Recipes, but for a twist I added the popular idea of putting half an Oreo on the bottom of the cupcake! Unfortunately for me, the Oreo half stuck to the paper of the cupcake liner. Someone suggested putting a bit of cooking spray in the liners to allow everything to release easily, but part of me wonders if they where simply in the oven a bit too long. I guess this means I’ll just have to make them again!
24 Oreo halves with cream attached
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 2/3 cups sugar
1 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 egg whites
1 cup crushed Oreo cookies (about 10) plus additional for garnish
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz cream cheese
1/4 cup butter
2 teaspoons vanilla
Powdered Sugar (until reach wanted consistency)
Chocolate sprinkles or Oreo crumbs (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 24 standard muffin cups or line with paper baking cups.
2. Put half an Oreo cookie with cream centers attached in each muffin cup.
3. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl; stir in sugar. Add milk, butter and vanilla; beat with electric mixer at low speed 30 seconds. Beat at medium speed 2 minutes. Add egg whites; beat 2 minutes. Stir in 1 cup crushed cookies. Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups, filling two-thirds full.
4. Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Remove from pans; cool completely on wire racks.
5. Put cream cheese and butter in a bowl and mix with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix until incorporated. Add powdered sugar and mix (carefully!), add more powdered sugar to create thicker frosting if wanted. When at desired consistency, add sprinkles or Oreo crumbs and mix in.
6. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes, top with left over Oreo crumbs, enjoy!
Adapted from: Favorite Brand Name’s 100 Best Cupcake Recipes